Postgraduate scientific training and research experience:
2016-present: Finnish Proteomics Society, President
2008- present: Senior scientist and group leader- Meilahti Clinical Proteomics Core Facility, Biomedicum Helsinki
2020-2021- Adjunct, Dept. of Biomedical Proteomics, IBCh-PAS, Poznań- Poland
2015- 2016- Acting Director of Meilahti Clinical Proteomics Core Facility (1.5 years)
2011- Adjunct Professor (Docentship), University of Helsinki
2012- 2014: Senior scientist, Folkhälsan Institute of Genetics, DEM-Child EU FP7 project
2005- 2008: Project leader Max Delbrück for Molecular Medicine, Department of Neuroproteomics
Head of the laboratory: Erich E. Wanker, PhD, Professor
2002- October 2005: Postdoctoral training
Max Planck Institute of Genetics and Max Delbrück for Molecular Medicine, Department of Neuroproteomics, Berlin, Germany; mentor: Erich E. Wanker, PhD, Professor
March 1998- January 2002: Postdoctoral training
University of Helsinki, Biomedicum Helsinki, Neuroscience Program and Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute, Finland; mentor: Olli Carpén, MD/PhD, Professor
PhD degree: 1997; DSc degree: 2021
Publications and research interests: Protein interaction networks in neurodegenerative disorders, NCL and Alzheimer’s disease, mass spectrometry imaging and laser capture microdissection proteomics, systems biology. Total of >70 original articles in peer reviewed international journals (IF: >370, Hirsch Index: 27, citations: 6118) and book chapters, 2 patents.
Major current running/coordinated grants (last 5 years): PI, 2016-2019,EU JPND Co-Fund Finnish partner (PropAD project); PI, 2017-2022,Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE); Call: H2020-MSCA-RISE-2016, Towards Early Molecular Diagnostics of Schizophrenia (SZ-TEST); PI, 2018-2022, ERANET Co-Fund, Finnish partner (MicroSynDep project); co-PI, 2022-2026, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Investigating dark microglia project)
Selected publications (last 5 years only):
- Scifo E*, Calza G*, Fuhrmann M, Soliymani R, Baumann M, Lalowski M. Recent advances in applying mass spectrometry and systems biology to determine brain dynamics. Expert Rev Proteomics. 2017 Jun;14(6):545-559.
- Lalowski M#, Björk S#, Finckenberg P, Soliymani R, Tarkia M, Calza G, Blokhina D, Tulokas S, Baumann M, Kankainen M, Lakkisto P, Kankuri E, Mervaala E. Characterizing the key metabolic pathways of the neonatal mouse heart using a quantitative combinatorial omics approach. Frontiers in Physiology, 2018, 9; 365.
- Calza G, Nyberg E, Mäkinen M, Soliymani R, Cascone E, Lindholm D, Barborini E, Baumann M, Lalowski M#, O. Eriksson#. Lactate-induced glucose output is unchanged by metformin at a therapeutic concentration – a mass spectrometry imaging study of the perfused rat liver. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 2018, 22; 9:141.
- Srinivasan V, Bruelle C, Scifo E, Pham DD, Soliymani R, Lalowski M#, Lindholm D#. Dynamic Interaction of USP14 with the Chaperone HSC70 Mediates Crosstalk between the Proteasome, ER Signaling, and Autophagy iScience. 2020 Jan 24;23(1); 100790.
- Doccini S, Morani F, Nesti C, Pezzini F, Calza G, Soliymani R, Signore G, Rocchiccioli S, Kanninen K , Huuskonen MT, Baumann M, Simonati A#, Lalowski M#, Santorelli FM#. Mitochondrial compartmental functional proteomics reveals affected pathways in NCL5 disease. Cell Death Discovery, 2020; 6(18).